We had these breakfast cookies lots growing up, and loved them! They’re soft and delicious, and let’s be honest, what kid doesn’t enjoy eating cookies for breakfast? Too good, friends.
My mom (or my siblings and I) usually made these with sunflower seeds and/or chopped peanuts, but you can add anything you want. When I made these last week, I used chopped dried apricot, chia seeds, and coconut.
I halved the recipe on my mom’s blog and still had enough cookies to eat plenty and freeze a dozen, so what I’ll share here is the halved version. Of course if you have a million kids feel free to double, triple, or even quadruple – what you’ve never done that before? That was the norm for us growing up 😉
Hearty Breakfast Cookies
A soft but hearty breakfast cookie that can be customised with additions of your choice.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar (white or brown)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 Tablespoons milk
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup additions (sunflower seeds, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, etc.)
- Cream together the butter, peanut butter, and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and milk.
- In a seperate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, mix well. Spoon onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350F or 175C for 12 minutes.
- Enjoy with a glass of milk!
- To freeze, just cool and pop in a ziploc bag. Take out the night before to thaw.
- There’s a lot of freedom with this recipe. I used brown sugar. For the additions, I used 1/2 cup dessicated coconut, 1/4 cup chopped dried apricot (I would definitely add more next time though), and 1/4 cup chia seeds.
Let me know if you make these bad boys! I wanted to make something that would be filling, somewhat healthy, and easy to grab for breakfast or a snack, and after searching recipes for homemade granola bars on Pinterest for what felt like ages, I finally thought of these cookies. There’s nothing like a good reliable recipe that you know you’ll love, and this is great because you can change it up with the additions depending on what you have or what you feel like.
4 thoughts on “Hearty Breakfast Cookies”
I love your variation on this!
I love how creative you can be with the recipe! 😋
I made these and they were SO good! Thanks for sharing, I think I’ll be making these lots in the future.
I’m so glad to hear that! I’ve been making them every week for the last month or so.