Let me show you Christmas in NZ! The photos in this post I took in Featherston where my sister Adalia lives with her husband and new baby Percy.
Jared and I decided to finish all our Christmas shopping before December.
I did all our Christmas shopping on December 14.
It happens, guys. Life gets busy, you forget about it, and before you know it Christmas is next week and you still have a *lot* to do. For us, it wasn’t so last minute because we knew what we planned to get, so it was just a matter of actually doing it. But if you have no idea what to get someone and Christmas is only days away… here are some ideas!
- Sunglasses. More practical for summer Christmases, like down here in the Southern hemisphere.
- Baseball cap
- Notebook- how many people could always use a notebook? For taking notes at church, or studying, or work, or any number of things!
- Games- board games or card games, who doesn’t love these?
- Puzzles- my family is a puzzle family! We love doing huge puzzles, and always pull them out at Thanksgiving and Christmas and work on them throughout the day.
- Sports- Again this is more practical in-the-moment if you live where Christmastime equals sunshine and beaches, since it can be hard to play sports when you’re in a foot of snow. Regardless, these could make fun gifts- whether it’s a soccer ball, rugby ball, football, volleyball, frisbees, or more.
- Socks- I know I am definitely an adult since I am suggesting you buy socks for Christmas… But socks can be both practical and fun. Winter Christmas? Buy warm fuzzy socks to keep you cozy! Summer Christmas? Find socks with fun designs, colors, or patterns. I have a thing for socks… Just ask anyone who’s worn mine before… or don’t! Let’s just say one thing I love about being married is nobody else can wear my socks.
- Kitchenware- If you know someone who loves cooking, find something cute in the kitchen section! I was just looking online at the Pioneer Woman’s kitchen line and OH MY WORD guys her stuff is both absolutely Gorgeous! and it’s affordable too! Her style is farmhouse/vintage and I am so in love with it! Her online store, The Mercantile, is full of her amazing products. She has everything you need for your kitchen- how cute are these cactus salt and pepper shakers for $10?! Or this gorgeous pie dish for $14? And everything you had no idea you needed but you DO, like this plastic wrap dispenser for $12. I’m not kidding guys I would buy that. For my NZ friends, shipping from Amazon (search ‘Pioneer Woman’ and check ‘Ships to NZ’ on the left hand side) is cheaper than if you order straight from her store. Although I realize that if you’re shipping from the US to NZ maybe this isn’t the best for a last minute gift… but the point I’m trying to make is, someone who loves being in the kitchen would adore some cute kitchenware!
- Instax Film- I have an Instax camera and I love it! But the film can be pricey so I don’t buy it often- it would be a much appreciated gift for someone who owns an Instax camera!
- Wallet- I have so many ideas for gifts for girls. But guys? I have noooo idea what guys like. I know I have eight brothers but still, being a girl I know what girls are into and I’m still trying to figure out what guys would like. I think that a nice wallet would be a great gift for a guy if his current wallet is getting old and wearing out.
- Edibles- find a recipe for homemade hot chocolate mix and put it in a cute jar with some marshmallows and crushed candy cane. Or bake some festive cookies to gift.
A few more ideas for the females in your life:
Nice smelling lotion/perfume/soap/bubble bath/bath bombs, nail polish, hair bows, sunglasses, stylish wallet or purse, lip balm, coloring book and colored pencils, colorful pens, notebooks, candles, a cute mug, tea, chocolate.
I’m so excited for mine and Jared’s first Christmas together! A year ago we didn’t even know each other so this is our very first Christmas. I’m so excited to start our own traditions. For Christmas breakfast, I’m going to make waffles with whipped cream and strawberries, pineapple, and mango. My family always does biscuits and gravy, sweet rolls, and hot chocolate, which is a delicious breakfast and so fun! What makes things like this special is the tradition.
It can be so easy to get all wrapped up in thinking about gifts and family plans and time off, but be sure to take time to think about the reason that we are celebrating. What a miracle that God sent his son Jesus to earth, to live as one of us, but to live a sinless life so that he could die on the cross, taking the punishment for our sins, and rise from the grave to conquer death. I’m so amazed to think how God loves me, you, and each one of us so much, that he would take the punishment for our sins, and give us eternal life with him so we don’t have to spend eternity in hell as we deserve.
I hope that you have a wonderful time celebrating Christ’s birth!